Products - Missing field "name" + Validation

Hi Everyone! In this blog post I share how I fixed the Google Search Console Products - Missing field "name" and started Validation to complete the fix. I also share the picture from my Console.

What caused the issue?

  • This has to do with the schema language. On my product pages there was insufficient technical information (that is not visible to visitors) where the main issue was that Google could not understand what is the name of the products even though it was defined in multiple locations.
  • When looking into the code I found at least 3 mentioned of the "name", but for whatever reason Google had an issue finding it.

How did I fix it?

  • First I tried to manually insert the required schema code, but that proved to be too difficult or time consuming. I just wanted to do it for 3 product pages and not for the entire blog whereas the code was recommended to be placed in the <head> section which I did not want to change just for the 3 pages.
  • I then installed a Schema Wordpress plugin which promised to fix the issue but it did not. While it did add general schema definitions, the free version only had an "Article type", but to fix the "Product" issues we need "Product type" schema language. So I removed this plugin.
  • I then found the Schema & Structured Data for WP Wordpress plugin which had all the features I needed but it did require that I manually create the Product Type and insert the "formulas" or "rules" of where it should take the various names/definitions from.
  • That's manual work, but it is only 1 time and it worked out really good in the end because I not only defined the "name" which was a "red" error, but I also defined the vast majority of "orange" warnings, so now my pages are fully in compliance and I am happy about that.
  • I then went back to the Google Search Console and clicked to Validate my fix.
  • After a few minutes of a quick check that the fix was indeed done the Console approved my request and the Validation started. It will take a number of days until it is fully finished (i don't know why it takes so long), but I am confident that this issue is now solved.